A handful of you aren’t leaving campus this summer, but for those that are, your health kick doesn’t have to be on pause until August. Even if you’re counties, states or countries away from the SRC or Rams Head Rec Center, you can still stay in shape. Here are some tips to have your healthiest summer yet!
- Training Time: Have you ever been to Campus Rec’s YouTube page and seen the Training Time videos? A few personal trainers have filmed 5-10 minute videos so that you have a well put together routine, no matter what your fitness abilities are. Posted are lower body, upper body and total body workouts. Additionally, there are videos completely devoted to foam rolling, abs, glutes and other fitness topics.
- Take Cardio Outside: Just because you don’t have an elliptical doesn’t mean you can’t get in some cardio. Take your dog on a walk, go on a hike with a friend or listen to that new playlist while you run. Sure, it’s hot, but as the saying goes, “Nobody ever drowned in sweat!”
- Strength Train Without Weights: Wait, what? If you don’t have a set of dumbbells or any weight machines, how are you supposed to strength train? It’s possible. Just Google a few routines without weights and you’ll find so many moves. Some classics – pushup, walking lunge, plank, mountain climber, squat jump, crunch – I could go on! Trust me, it’s easy to get an entire body workout without any equipment.
- DVDs: I am one who has done it all! P90X, TurboFire, Insanity, basic Pilates DVDs. You can find some workout DVDs online (like from Amazon) for extremely cheap and, for others, you can pay a pretty penny. But those 90-day workouts are really equivalent to the cost of a gym membership and are a lot more convenient (sorry to get all infomercial-ly on you). Look at some descriptions and reviews and find a DVD that is right for you!
- Watch What You Eat: At school, you’re probably used to the cheap basic food staples. Bananas, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. At home, your mom may be making you fried chicken a couple times a week and maybe you’ll meet high school friends out for dinner pretty frequently. Just be careful of your eating habits at home and remember to keep it as healthy as you can. Click here for some summer recipes you can make at home and here for Campus Rec’s Pinterest page (with lots more delicious recipes).
You will survive a few months without the gyms on campus, I promise! And, of course, you could join a gym at home (warning – it won’t be as amazing as it is here!). Have a healthy and safe summer and continue to check back here for the latest fitness info!