If you’re looking to change up your workout routine, consider taking a Pilates class. It will challenge your muscles in completely new ways. Here are five reasons to give this class a shot:
- Long and Strong: Pilates moves will work your muscles to become stronger, but with all the stretching involved, you won’t get bulky like some people fear with free weights. And with hundreds of different moves, you’ll work muscles on every part of your body.
- Good for the Mind: Just like Yoga, there is a mental aspect of Pilates as well. You’ll learn how to focus on your breathing, posture and body. The class is a great relief from all the stress of school work.
- Burn Calories: Pilates does a lot more than strengthen your muscles and create an inner peace. It will get your heart pumping and burn some calories!
- Abs of Steel: Your core is the focus on many Pilates moves. A few classes will result in more flexible abs and a flatter stomach.
- Reduced Chance of Injury: So many injuries are a result of inflexible muscles. Because of the regular stretching, your muscles and joints will become limber. Then, you’ll be less likely to get injured during a different workout, such as running or lifting weights.
The most important aspect of exercise is doing something you love. If you’ve never given Pilates a shot, try it! You’ll realize how physically and mentally rewarding it can be. Click here for the group fitness class schedule for Summer Session II and be on the lookout for the schedule for the fall semester!